Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Radio Show

Today, my friends, I have a radio show.

Earlier this semester I decided to put my name in for one of the fifteen open slots, just in case anything came of it. I decided after I signed up to orchestrate a talk show that runs along the same lines as This American Life (an NPR show that is very dear to my heart), meaning I would have a theme or topic every week and go from there. There needn't be a category for the whole show, just as long as the topic was interesting, and preferably something people didn't know all that much about, or if it was, I would bring in people to chat on it.

Usually, the topic has been related to something in the news, although my favorite show was completely out-of-the-blue–an hour on three "Forgotten Inventors." Nikola Tesla, Leon Theremin, and Heddy Lamar. I brought my friend, Bridget, in to speak about Leon Theremin (she's a cellist, he was a cellist, voila), and it all turned out very well for a second radio show ever, if I do say so myself. My second favorite show was about HIV in response to the child in Georgia who may have been cured of HIV she contracted from her mother in-utero. It was just me that time, but I'd nabbed an interview with a lecturer at St Andrews who specializes in HIV anti-retroviral research, which was quite informative.

Today, I am going to talk about the situation in North Korea and the history and context that these threats are emerging from. When preparing for every show, I learn something I wouldn't have known otherwise, and this is definitely the case with this one. What a tricky country, North Korea is.

If you'd like to listen to my show, or any STAR (St Andrews Radio) show at all, here's the link. Soon, I'll be posting my recent shows to the same website in podcast form, I just need to edit out the music and plug in some open forum tunes instead.

Have a pleasant and productive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment